Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Songbird

Music is in my bones. I remember going to the piano when I was 3 and playing by ear. I would play and sing, and because I was so little, I would lay down on the piano bench and outstretch my legs so that I could play with the pedals. I have several of these memories, but what I don't remember is actually learning the fundamentals of music. I teach my piano students how to read music and some of them take to it really well, and some don't. Everyone learns at a different pace. It's difficult for me to put myself in their shoes because I don't have any memories of learning the notes, finger placements, etc. I only remember being able to read music.

I started singing the moment I opened my mouth. I started voice lessons when I was in late middle school, and took them on and off through college. I started seriously working on my voice in my Masters program at the Conservatoire when I had the opportunity to study with a phenomenal mezzo soprano there. I signed up for voice as my secondary study. Because I started actually "learning" voice later in life, I find working with the vocal students that I coach at Fullerton College really fun and rewarding. Not that I don't absolutely love teaching piano and working with all my students. Teaching in general is an incredibly rewarding experience. However, I find it easiest to relate to my vocal students at FC because I myself was in their shoes not too long ago. I still study voice and I don't claim to be a pro in the least, but I am able to use all of the techniques I learned and continue to learn with them. 

I've realized lately that I want to sing more. I'm surrounded by excelling students. I'm rewarded every day by the growth they show in their individual musical journeys. But I'm also incredibly envious that they get to sing every day and work with their teachers. I'm envious they have an accompanist to play for them! They can choose any song they want in their books and they have me to play it for them. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE playing these songs and making them unique to each performer. But sometimes, I just want to sing it with them :) I can't resist the urge to sing. 

So in an effort to sing more, I've decided to record songs from time to time and post them. Today's song is composed by Ivor Gurney and set to one of John Fletcher's texts from The Woman Hater (1607). It's entitled Sleep, and starts off with a lulling piano melody that is slightly disturbing and unsettled. It takes us through many emotions, however, the overall feel is this feeling of despair as the individual begs for sleep so that they can get back to the love that was lost. 

I love this song for it's haunting melody...it'll stick with you for as long as you let it. I think we can all relate to that longing to get back what was lost. But, alas, we all must experience loss, and we all must learn how to grow from it.

Enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful performance. We are so lucky to have you at Fullerton College. Now I don't feel as bad for accidentally making you sing a bunch of German Lieder in trying to find my next piece ;)

    ReplyDelete