Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Spring Break? Not for me!

It's Spring break!! So of course, what happens? I get the flu! I've managed to battle through about 3 rounds of this bug at school this semester, and the moment I have a chance to relax and take it easy, it got me! Granted, it let me have an incredibly fun day at Disneyland on Saturday with the hubby, my best friend, and her choir we were chaperoning, but come Sunday morning, I was down! 

I find this ironic...I do my best to wash my hands (especially after being around sick college students), disinfect the many pianos I work on, and show up early every day for work, when half the time, my students can't make it in for their coachings midday due to "foodpoisoning" and other mysterious illnesses. I will give it to them though, that this flu season has been a rough one, and quite a few of my students have been taken down hard. As vocalists and musicians, being sick is not so great for work because you can't work at all if you're sick. Anyway, back to the ironic part. I work, work, work, and the second I get a break, my body says "sweet...you have some free time on your hands...let's get you really sick!" 

I went into the doctor yesterday morning, and after being poked and prodded and asked a thousand questions, they told me what I already knew...it's the flu. I even took the precautionary step of getting a flu vaccination...which they told me yesterday has been only 17% effective this season. Funny. Not! So here I am, at home, watching all of the random movies on Netflix, being entertained by my cats, suffocating on the couch, surrounded by mountains of tissues, drinking everything from EmergenC to tea, to ginger ale, to miso soup...you know...the things you do when you're sick.

I was looking forward to having my mom come into town to visit. She booked a flight for today, which she canceled yesterday after we got my diagnosis. We'll have fun another time I'm sure, but I was so looking forward to galavanting around together, not worrying about work. Ben and I are headed up North for the weekend though, so we'll still get to see her and my dad. 

Anyway - today I plan to work on my cross-stitch, work on my summer camp program, and watch more random movies on Netflix. That should keep me busy enough :) 

Better posts to come! I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Boo! That was me last week, too-I had a gross cough and light narcolepsy (exaggeration)

    You're making great use of your time, you'll thank yourself for the computer time and the relaxation, too.

    Echinacea? Throat Coat?

    <3

    ReplyDelete