Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Violation!!

Something very odd happened this morning! I got up, as usual, and did my normal morning routine. Walked out of the house, locked up, walked up to my car and noticed that the door was slightly ajar. Cue panic! I started mentally walking through the day before: Successfully drove home after dodging all of the Dodger's Game traffic (pun intended) - check! Pulled into the driveway, parked my car, gathered my things - check! Got out to greet Ben who was waiting on the sidewalk with a neighbor and a friend - check! Listened for the happy 'toot' of my car as I clicked the button a thousand times because the battery is dying - check! Yup...I remember locking my car.

So back to the situation at hand...the door slightly ajar. *hair rises slightly on the back of my neck and arms* I immediately called Ben, who didn't pick up, so I called his dad who happens to be his work partner. As I talk with them on the phone, I observe the chaos sitting in my car. My glove box was left open, and everything that was in my center console was now strewn all over my front seat. Ugh!! Then I look in the back - doesn't seem to be disturbed, thankfully, and the same was true of my trunk. What could this person have possibly wanted? Whatever it was, the joke was on them. They couldn't have chosen a worse car to raid. Because I drive 3 hours a day on average, my car has a lot of stuff in it. The weekly commute has its impact - cliff bar wrappers from breakfast, empty water bottles, unnecessary and unimportant paperwork (mostly invites and notices for work), a plethora of music books, sweaters, jackets, socks, gym clothes, flip flops, a random roll of toilet paper from that time I was sick and didn't have any tissues. I mean - literally - anything you could think of was in there...that is, anything and everything of no monetary value. All of my paperwork was in there too in terms of insurance and registration and even an old pay check that had already been cashed. I'd assume they were after something quick and easy like iPods, car radios, etc. But once again, I'm careful enough to bring that in with me.

So after this horrifying discovery, I wasn't quite sure what to do...I mean, really there wasn't anything to do. Nothing to report stolen or damaged. At this point, I was running late for work...so I got in my car and drove to work. The entire way though, I felt incredibly uneasy knowing that someone had been in my car. It was a violation of a sort. I'm looking forward to taking it to get cleaned.

1 comment:

  1. The same happened to me my first year teaching :(
    It is a sad and yucky sinking feeling-rejoice that nothing of value was nabbed! Thank yourself for keeping your belongings safe!

    ReplyDelete