Monday, April 13, 2015

The Grapevine

Ben and I drive up to San Francisco at least once a month. What once seemed like endless days of travel, now goes by in a flash (thankfully). We've got it down - depart LA and don't stop until the first big shopping center after the grapevine. Get out - stretch - grab a bite to go - get back in car and go. We then continue, with the same driver driving, until about an hour and a half later. Pull over, Chinese fire drill, and keep cruising! One more stop at Foster's Freeze near Salinas and then the final stretch to the bay. Reverse, repeat, return.

Ben is an incredibly driven, highly motivated individual. Qualities that I absolutely adore and strongly admire. We make the trek to the Bay every month because 4 years ago, he enlisted in the Air Force with dreams of becoming a pilot for search and rescue missions. How cool is that? He was a pilot in the civilian world, getting his license to fly before he got a license to drive. So it only made sense that he'd pursue that with the Air Force. However, I came into his life, and turned his world upside down (as he did mine). When we became serious, and it was evident that I wasn't going anywhere, he decided to change career paths and join up with his dad at Morgan Stanley as a wealth manager. BUT, he still had his duty to the Air Force. So, this is why we go up once a month. Ben is now is in the reserves with the Air National Guard and reports to the only base in California with the helicopters he's specialized in. His title is Helicopter Crew Chief - so he oversees all the maintenance for the "birds" and makes sure they're flight ready. Super cool! He can also be called in for rescue missions, or fire extinguishing (something that is really scary and happens a lot here in CA), or emergency relief for natural disasters like hurricanes. Have I mentioned how proud I am of  him?

While Ben is working extra hard on these weekends, I'm visiting with my family. I really do enjoy his guard weekends - I only wished he'd be able to spend his time with us as well, but he's a superhuman and must do his super human duties. (I will not interfere). My mom and I did some quality shopping this weekend, and my dad and I had some time to bond at Dick's Sporting Goods, where I got fitted for some new golf clubs! So excited!!! They were an early birthday present from Ben!!! (even while rescuing the world, he was still able to surprise me!)

So of course, the weekend flew by way too fast and we found ourself reversing, repeating, and returning to LA. We got in about midnight and went straight to bed, only to remain awake all night because our cats decided to punish us for leaving them. (Feeling tired, but not as tired as Ben)

This week is going to be great! I'm planning on
1) Starting back in at the gym and creating a workout plan
2) Really focusing on meditation and making my meditation space more meditation-like
3) Planting some vegetables!! (including purple string beans!!)

I've realized I need to make plans so that I can follow through on them and stay organized! Yay!!

1 comment: